Friday, May 11, 2012

Monument Valley 2012


Monument Valley

We depart Phoenix on Cinco de Mayo to begin Trek 2012. Our journey takes us through Monument Valley located in the Four Corners area of the Southwest. Our destination today - the Desert Rose Lodge in Bluff, UT.  

Monument Valley

The on site location of numerous western Movies and advertisements, Monument Vally and its distinctive sandstone buttes and spires conjures up images of the Marlboro Man, Indians on horseback and wagon trains full of  Pioneers heading west. 

Located in the southeastern corner of Utah, Monument Valley is home of the Navajo Nation Tribal Park...the Indian equivalent to our National Parks. This spectacular landscape is known as "red rock country" with surreal sandstone spires rising a thousand feet above the desert floor.


Mexican Hat

As we continued north on Hwy 163 toward our first destination - Bluff, UT -  we passed through the small town of Mexican Hat. I'll assume this town got its name from the rock structure pictured above!  

Desert Rose Cabin #3

Being mostly city slickers, we decided to ease our way back into the camping mode. So for our first night back out on the lonesome trail, we decided to "camp" at the Desert Rose Hotel and Cabins in Bluff, UT. We were assigned Cabin #3. Delightful accommodations! Highly recommended if you ever visit Bluff!

Cabin Interior

Native American Art


It's great to be back on the road. I have reached that stage in life where I need a regular dose of wilderness to help me decompress from the fast paced, modern world. I need to view Mexican Hats and Red Rock Spires. I need to hear the tranquil sounds of a snow melt stream to help drown out the sound of rush hour traffic. I need to fill my lungs with moist mountain air to help me cleanse my city soot saturated lungs. 

I need to sleep under the stars and be awakened by the birds. It's time we camp! So onward  to Canyonlands National Park and the Needles District we go!



No comments:

Post a Comment